Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Hopi Prayer for the Day of the Dead

On the left, Mictecacihuatl, the Aztec godess of death. Archivo de Miguel Covarrubias, Universidad de las Americas, Puebla.

For Aztecs and Mexicans now, the day of the dead is a joyous occasion, as the belief is that spirits of the dead come back to Earth to be with their families and loved ones, they eat, drink and celebrate with them for the good memories. It is a celebration of both life and death. For Native American cultures, both life and death are two dual aspects of the eternal cycle. Let me offer a tribute to the celebration of the day of the dead with a beautiful Hopi Prayer I found at http://linguatics.com/dayofthedead.htm
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on the snow.
I am the sunlight on the ripened grain.
I am the gentle Autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush,
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry:
I am not there, I did not die.
Lo que sigue es la traducción del poema de las tribus Hopi que bajé en Inglés de la red y lo publiqué en mi post del Día de los Muertos. Lamentablemente la traducción hará que el poema pierda la rima, y me pregunto cómo sonaría en el lenguaje original. ...El poema hace alusión a la creencia de los nativos americanos acerca de la vida y la muerte como un único ciclo. En la foto, la estatuilla de la izquierda corresponde a la diosa azteca de los muertos, Mictecacihuatl. La imagen pertenece al archivo de Miguel Covarrubias, Universidad de las Américas, Puebla.
No te pares en mi tumba y llores.
Yo no estoy allí, yo no duermo.
Yo soy mil vientos que soplan.
Yo soy el diamante que brilla en la nieve.
Yo soy la luz del sol en el grano maduro.
Yo soy la suave lluvia de otoño.
Cuando despiertes en la mañana silenciosa,
yo soy la punta que se levanta rápida,
de pájaros quietos en vuelo circular.
Yo soy las suaves estrellas que brillan por la noche.
No te pares en mi tumba y llores.
Yo no estoy allí, yo no morí.

Read more about the Day of the Dead
http://myriammahiques.blogspot.com/2009/11/rites-of-intensification-and-day-of.html

Nota al 9 de octubre de 2012: como verán en los comentarios abajo, un lector anónimo dejó el link para la autora del poema de 1932, según Wikipedia, Mary Elizabeth Frye. El nombre del poema es Do not stand at my grave and weep.

4 comments:

  1. Disfruté mucho el blog, como lector compulsivo que soy y como modestísimo difusor de Filloy. Saludos sureños!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fernando, muchas gracias por este comentario tan halagador :) me alegra que te guste el blog!
    Un gran saludo desde California,
    Myriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Hopi prayer? that poem has been atributed to a Baltimore housewife Mary Elizabeth Frye.

    "Mary Elizabeth Frye (November 13, 1905 - September 15, 2004) was a Baltimore housewife and florist, best known as the author of the poem Do not stand at my grave and weep, written in 1932.
    The identity of the author of the poem was unknown until the late 1990s, when Frye revealed that she had written it. Her claim was later proven by Abigail Van Buren."

    "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Elizabeth_Frye."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, thank you for your comment. As I explained I shared it from the web page referred above, that was related to the Día de los Muertos. I´ll also copy the link for the poem
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_stand_at_my_grave_and_weep

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...