Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

A poem for Iphigenia´s feelings at the moment of sacrifice

Iphigenia. From udel.edu

The sacrifice of Iphigenia. By Felice Torelli. Google images


Tennyson, in his ¨Dream of Fair Women,¨makes Iphigenia thus describe her feelings at the moment of sacrifice:
¨I was cut off from hope in that sad place,
Which yet to name my spirit loathes and fears;
My father held his hand upon his face;
I, blinded by my tears,

¨Still strove to speak; my voice was thick with sighs,
As in a dream. Dimly I could descry
The stern black.bearded kings, with wolfish eyes,
waiting to see me die.

¨The tall masts quivered as they lay afloat,
The temples and the people and the shore;
One drew a shapr knife through my tender throat
Slowly, -and- nothing more.¨
REFERENCE:
Bulfinch´s Mythology. By Thomas Bulfinch. P. 214. Avenel, USA, 1978

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...