Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Two prayers: Confession on a death bed and a prayer before retiring to sleep. From The Standard Prayer Book


The Standard Prayer Book is a Jewish prayer book, or Siddur, containing prayers, meditations, and texts used during life passage ceremonies including circumcision, marriage and funerals, with variants for Jewish holy days.
I always think if I´ll have the time to say a prayer at the moment of my death, who knows..From this book, I´m selected Confession on a death bed and a paragraph of Prayers before retiring to rest at night, hoping I´ll be able to memorize them.

I acknowledge unto thee, O Lord my God and God of my fathers, that both my cure and my death are in thy hands. May it be thy will to send me a perfect healing. Yet if my death be fully determined by thee, I will in love accept it at thy hand. O may my death be an atonement for all the sins, iniquities and transgressions of which I have been guilty against thee, Vouchsafe unto me of the bounding happiness that is treasured up for the righteous. Make known to me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand are pleasures for evermore.
Thou who art the father of the fatherless and judge of the widow, protect my beloved kindred with whose soul my own is knit. Into thy hand I commend my spirit; thou hast redeemed me, O Lord God of truth, Amen, and Amen!
From The Standard Prayer Book, tr. by Simeon Singer, [1915]
And a nice excerpt of the prayer before we go to sleep:

Blessed art thou, O Lord our God, King of the universe, who makest the bands of sleep to fall upon mine eyes, and slumber upon mine eyelids. May it be thy will, O Lord my God and God of my fathers, to suffer me to lie down in peace and to let me rise up again in peace. Let not my thoughts trouble me, nor evil dreams, nor evil fancies, but let my rest be perfect before thee. O lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death, for it is thou who givest light to the apple of the eye. Blessed art thou, O Lord, who givest light to the whole world in thy glory.
Read the whole book

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...