Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám

A depiction of Omar Khayyám from Edward Fitzgerald´s works. Image from wikipedia.org


I´ve been so lucky to find an edition of the Rubáiyát from Avenel Books, New York. It´s a beautiful book and I´m sorry I can´t find the year of printing but I suppose it´s old. The Rubáiyát is the name that was given by its English translator, Edward Fitzgerald to the selection of poems of attributed to Omar Khayyám (1048–1131), a Persian poet, mathematician and astronomer. ¨Beginning in 1859, FitzGerald authorized four editions and had a fifth posthumous edition of his translation of the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám (Persian: رباعیات عمر خیام), of which three (the first, second, and fifth) differ significantly; the second and third are almost identical, as are the fourth and fifth.¨ (Wikipedia.org)
My book contains China ink drawings by Edmund J. Sullivan.





One of my favorite poems, LXIX:

Indeed, the Idols I have loved so long
Have done my Credit in Men´s Eye much wrong:
Have drown´d my Honour in a shallow Cup,
And sold my Reputation for a song.

1 comment:

  1. I'M HAPPY FOR YOU HAVE THE SMAE LUCK AS YOURS BOUGHT A COPY FOR P50. JAPANESE FLEA MARKET AVENIDA CARRIEDO LRT MANILA PHILIPPINES BY AVENAL BOOKS NEW YORK (L)10664 AT BACK OF THE HARD BOUND BOOKS ONCE OWNED BY GLORIA VANDERBILT BY axismongol@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...